As we approach this time of year, we get very excited about decorating our home and workspace to express our joy and enthusiasm. Shopping to create a cohesive holiday look that reflects our decorating style is exciting, but we should be careful not to let that excitement cause us to become distracted and overwhelmed with the numerous holiday decor options available. It could easily lead us to overbuy and spend money on items we don’t need.
Below are 6 tips to help you stay focused and on budget while still achieving the holiday look you desire.
- Go through each item from previous years and decide whether you’re going to use it this year or not and whether you want to keep it or donate it.
- Put all the items you like and are planning to use this year on a table or in a corner and take a picture of everything you have, save the picture in your phone because you will need it when you go shopping!
- Decide how much you want to spend on holiday decorations. If you are on a budget search for deals on holiday decor. Many stores such as Michael’s and Hobby Lobby have 40%-50% off on holiday decor. Consignment and thrift stores often have a lot of very nice pieces at a very low price.
- Decide what color decoration theme you want to use on your tree and throughout your home this year. While shopping, keep checking the picture you took earlier, this way you don’t buy the same item twice. Select items that are going to work with what you already have. This will help you spend less, and use more of what you already have. Invest in items that are both beautiful and lasting, saving you future time and money.
- Keep it simple and festive. Tree decor, a centerpiece, wreaths, and mantle or banister greens may be all you need for a complete and festive look. Consider natural-looking greens and pretty ribbon to use throughout, along with coordinating candle jars for a DIY centerpiece. Also, a neutral green holiday throw can be used long after the holiday season ends.
- When going shopping, remember to leave the house with an empty trunk and a cup of coffee! There’s nothing more frustrating than wanting to buy something but having no room for it in the trunk.
We wish you a fun and festive holiday decorating experience filled with beautiful decor. Remember your holiday decor is an investment of time and money. If you are unsure of what to purchase, we can help. From shopping assistance to an hour or more of coaching, we can help you invest wisely in the right items that will create a beautiful holiday this year, and for years to come.