There is a trend these days to try and organize everything in one’s entire space, all at once. Marie Kondo built a very successful business around this style of organizing which brought much recognition to the industry as a whole.
The results of this type of organizing can be significant, but only if you complete it. A lot of stamina, both physical and mental, is required to actually finish this overwhelming task alone.
Have you tried to tackle a disorganized room, or even an entire house, only to run out of steam? This is typical and totally normal! However, it can be very discouraging and exhausting. If you have tried this way and failed, don’t beat yourself up.
Instead, try an easier way:
- Start Small. Organizing a junk drawer is a great way to get your feet wet. Completing a project like this builds skills and self-esteem. It will give you the momentum you need to undertake more areas of your home. Here is a link to our detailed guide: How to Organize a Junk Drawer
- One at a time. Rather than trying to organize your whole wardrobe, handle one drawer or closet section at a time.
- Assess what works. Rather than rearranging the whole kitchen at once, assess what is working then deal with one countertop or cabinet per session.
To give you an idea of a realistic time frame, consider this: Ideal Organizing + Design can usually organize an entire home in less than a week. We bring a team of two, along with our experience and expertise to every project. Hopefully, we have the client’s undivided attention during the decision-making part of the project.
Factors that affect the time it takes to organize are:
- Ability to make decisions. This is the biggest variable in estimating the time it takes to complete a project.
- The volume of belongings. Of course, more belongings require more time to get through.
- The number of people on the job. There is no doubt that our “team of two” exponentially decreases the time needed to complete an organizing project.
So remember, trying to do too much at once only leads to frustration. Only you know how much is “too much” for you. Getting organized should bring Peace of Mind, Freedom, and Time.
The Team at Ideal Organizing + Design provides Senior Move Management Services, Professional Home and Office Organizing, and Interior Design. We have staff who are experienced and are members of NAPO, and NASMM, the National Association of Senior Move Managers. Contact us at 757-777-8685 or email@example.com.