With all the additional activity happening during the holidays, even the most organized person can feel frazzled.
Having extra people around can add even more chaos to an already overwhelming situation.
Here are 7 tips to help you get back peace of mind, freedom, and time during this busy season.
- Establish what your priorities are for the holidays. Are they about creating memories, having a spiritual or religious experience, spending quality time together, having fun, getting and giving lots of gifts, impressing your mother-in-law or others? Be honest here!
- Hold all your actions up to that ideal and let the rest go. There will always be more you could have done. For instance, if your priority is spending quality time with loved ones, should you plan a super elaborate meal that will stress you out? If gift-giving is your favorite, make sure you have a designated, organized, and well-stocked wrapping area.
- Plan. Make plans and then be flexible about how they turn out. Recording things in your calendar or planner allows you to see the big picture and allow enough time. Remember to schedule some free time.
- Ask for help! Friends, family, and guests like to feel useful, so don’t leave them standing around while you do everything. It’s a lot more fun when everyone is involved. The key is figuring out what each person actually enjoys and is good at. Not sure what it is? Just ask them!
- Don’t do too much. The holidays are not the time for overachieving. We are bombarded with messages of more, newer, better, bigger, faster, etc. Try not to succumb.
- Remember to relax and enjoy all the festivities you have planned for yourself and your loved ones. An intimate conversation with someone you don’t see very often can be priceless.
- Organize decorations while they are out. If you have an efficient way to store all of your holiday decorations, congratulations! If not tackle this project right after the holidays so that next year will be easier. Using light-weight, clear, labeled containers will make decorating faster and easier next year. You will thank yourself!
If you need help with this chore, why not hire a professional organizer to make quick work of the after-holiday cleanup and storage organization or attend one of Ideal organizing + Design’s 2 Hour Post-Holiday Virtual Workshops to make sure the job is done efficiently.
By Jennifer Dwight. Jenn is a Gold Circle Member of the National Association of Productivity and Organizing Professionals (NAPO) and has been a Professional Organizer since 2011. Jenn has also taken courses in Interior Design to enhance her knowledge and broaden her skills. She specializes in Virtual Organizing and Coaching. Contact us at 757-777-8685 or email@example.com.